Magic Light Pictures is a London based independent production and brand licensing company, which specialises in family entertainment and manages the children’s brand, The Gruffalo.
Magic Light has produced feature films and nine half-hour animated specials including The Gruffalo, Stick Man, Zog and Superworm based on the books by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler, and Revolting Rhymes based on the book by Roald Dahl. We are currently producing The Smeds and the Smoos for BBC One for broadcast Christmas 2022. In Spring 2021 Pip and Posy, a 52×7” episode animated series launched in the UK on Channel 5 Milkshake! and Sky Kids. Our Gruffalo brand family licensing programme has over 70 licensees globally, key and expanding categories include plush, puzzles and games, apparel, gifting and visitor attractions. Pip and Posy licensing has begun with the first products scheduled to launch in Autumn 2022.
The company is focussed on delivering high quality imaginative films and products which delight children and family audiences and deliver value. We aim to be involved in all the ways our output reaches audiences, and we directly manage production, licensing, global distribution and marketing.
As an integral part of Magic Light licensing team, you will report to the Licensing Manager and work closely to deliver the commercial aims of the licensing division. The role will include tasks in the following areas: day to day account management of certain licensees; identifying and appointing new licensees in certain categories; contract and royalty administration; producing brand presentations; creating and delivering licensee updates both electronically and in-person; and working closely with the Product Development and Marketing teams to ensure smooth running of licensing. You will participate in regular team meetings, along with licensee and retailer meetings, both internally and externally.
Following your induction, the opportunities will include:
- support the Licensing Manager in all aspects of managing and growing the MLP licensing programmes
- responsible for account management of certain licensees
- responsible for certain retail accounts, including the companies own branded online stores such as Amazon
- identify and following consultation appoint new licensees in certain categories and developing new retail opportunities
- work with Brand Manager to create brand, licensee and workshop presentations
- represent MLP by delivering presentations at key licensing events such as tradeshows and licensee workshops
- work with the Business Affairs Exec and where appropriate external lawyers to assist in drafting deal memos, tracking contracts from draft to execution, arranging signature of contracts both directly and electronically via DocuSign
- manging the contract management database Mediabox, ensuring it is accurate and up to date, and filing all documentation as instructed
- assist with the collection and processing of royalty reports from licensees and work with Finance to ensure accurate invoicing
- support the Licensing Manager and Finance inputting royalties into relevant databases and correcting errors on submitted reports
- work with Product Development Executive to manage responses to brand infringements
- assist with regular internal update materials including tracker documents, licensee lists and board reports, ensuring that they are updated and distributed
- ensure licensees, agents, brand owners and retailers receive up to date info, sales material, status reports and other relevant assets on a regular basis
- assist the Licensing team with general administrative duties as required
Key Competencies and Skills
- at least 18 months experience of working within Licensing in a commercial role
- genuine passion and knowledge of kids brands and character/IP in the UK and internationally
- passion for Licensing
- knowledge of licensing protocols and language helpful
- excellent organisation and communication skills (written and verbal) so as to be confident delivering presentations
- team player who can build relationships effectively with internal teams and external parties
- knowledge of market trends in licensing, the competitive landscape
- commercial awareness
- self-starter and problem solver
- brand focused with a creative eye and good attention to detail
- excellent skills with Microsoft office, and versatility and adeptness in databases and software
What type of person are we looking for?
- someone who will thrive on keeping a busy team running, facilitating a smooth schedule of meetings, events, correspondence and paperwork
- the candidate must possess excellent organisational skills and the ability to multi-task in a fluid environment
- timely and professional approach to all elements of the role
- excellent communication skills (verbal and written). Able to choose an appropriate form of communications e.g. telephone, email, face to face
- excellent knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- good knowledge of design software (Photoshop, InDesign)
- experience of using Mediabox or other online approval and contract management systems
- able to learn quickly and take on new responsibilities, sharing learnings and information with the team
- sound educational background with good command of maths and written English
- the ideal candidate will have 1-2years experience in the workplace in either marketing, licensing, sales, retail buying or branding
If you’re interested in more information or would like to apply, please send a copy of your CV to Rachel Steele at Blue Forge at email@example.com
Magic Light Pictures are an equal opportunities employer, and welcome people from diverse backgrounds to join our team. We are committed to our inclusive culture, and will consider applicants regardless of gender, ethnicity, background, disability or status.